The various regiments of the Prince of Wales Own West Yorkshires would have been a familiar sight to the people of Leeds. With an army however, comes the need for somewhere for them to stay and train! In Leeds today, we have the Carlton Barracks – but before 1914 there were different barracks around the city. In this post, we have highlighted two different examples; Gibraltar and Harewood. If you know of any other barracks that were in or around Leeds at the time, let us know!
Gibraltar Barracks – image courtesy of John Sigsworth
Gibraltar Barracks (Claypit Lane)
These barracks were home to the West Yorkshire Royal Engineers in 1868, and were extended in 1889 along with the building of an entrance portcullis. They eventually became the base for the Royal Corps of Signallers, 49th West Yorkshire Divisional Signals. The barracks were demolished in 1967. Claypit lane now houses the First Direct Arena, various student flats and a Premier Inn!
Harewood Barracks – image courtesy of John Sigsworth
The buildings for these barracks were situated on Woodhouse Lane and dated from 1791 – they were originally known as St. James’ Lodge. The buildings were used for a girls high school before becoming a barracks around 1910. The Harewood barracks was the headquarters of the Army Service Corps, 1st West Riding (Leeds) Volunteers and the Royal Army Medical Corps, 1st and 2nd West Riding Field Ambulance – they were mobilised at Harewood in 1914.
Researcher: John Sigsworth
- Please note:
All opinions and inferences are the researchers own
- All images were found by John Sigsworth.